so, i was struggling to find a tasty and somewhat healthy cake to make for my dad’s birthday last weekend. In the tasty department, i kept running into some very similar chocolate cake recipes on some popular cooking sites. They all used packaged cake mix, which i was extremely reluctant to do, but having tasted the results, i would definitely do it again.
while decorating the cake, i found it was very helpful to refrigerate the whole thing after the white icing was on for about 15 minutes before applying the red icing. i’m not sure why, but the icing tended to slide down the sides of the cake. before laying the cakes on the pedestal, i dusted it with extra confectioner’s sugar. after placing the tiers, i used my mom’s trick of sliding pieces of parchment paper under the edges of the cake before icing, and then removing them once it was set.
- 1 box of devils food cake
- 1 small package of instant pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce + 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups semisweet chips (the whole bag!)
- box of confectioners sugar
- 1 stick of light butter, softened
- 2 T milk
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- dash of salt
- preheat oven to 350°.
- mix all ingredients except the chips.
- fold in chocolate chips.
- pour into two 9″ baking pans sprayed (i used spring-form pans and they worked GREAT).
- bake 44-45 minutes. it was perfect at 44, but another min. wouldn’t hurt.
- let cool on wire rack for a while (maybe 30-35 min – until fully cool).
- cream 1 1/3 cups sugar + butter.
- add remaining sugar + milk + shakes of peppermint oil.
- refrigerate for 30 min.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment