Filed under: DINNER | Tags: barley, eggplant, lemon, olives, onion, salad, tomatoes, vegetarian
Thank you SK! This was delicious! I rarely buy fresh herbs, but since i am making another parsley-heavy dish tonight, i went ahead and got some. I had been looking for a NEW eggplant recipe for some time when i finally went to Smitten Kitchen and found her recipe. It was a little involved – one of those dishes where you can spend the SOLID 50-60 minutes washing, chopping, baking, and working the stove top. But it was worth it.
I will definitely make this one again someday. It was filling and tasty, with enough depth of flavor so that I didn’t feel bad not serving it with anything. A wonderful midweek recipe that you can actually look forward to eating chilled for lunch the next day.
- 1 1/2 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used 4 baby eggplants)
- 1/2-3/4 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 T evoo
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 C chopped scallion (or yellow onion)
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1/4 t red pepper
- 1 1/4 C pearl barley (8 oz)
- 2 C chicken or veggie broth
- 1/2 C water
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 t sugar
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 C thinly sliced red onion, rinsed and drained if desired
- 1 C chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook barley: Heat 2 T oil in a large pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallion, cumin, coriander, and red pepper, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add barley and cook, stirring until well coated with oil, 2 minutes more. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all of liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer to reserved shallow baking pan and spread to quickly cool, uncovered, to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- While the barley is cooking, toss eggplant and zucchini with 5 tablespoons oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, then spread in 2 oiled large shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pans. Roast vegetables in oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. Combine vegetables in 1 pan and cool, reserving other pan for cooling barley.
- Make dressing and assemble salad: Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Add barley, roasted vegetables, and remaining ingredients to bowl with dressing and toss until combined well. Serve with slices of feta cheese.
I was feeling too lazy to walk/bike our dinner down to the water (1 1/2 mi. away), so we picnicked in the living room instead! The nettle cheese was a gift from my parents who brought it straight from Holland. You are supposed to be able to wait and let it age and harden in the fridge, but we couldn’t wait.
- 1 C Kalamata olives (i just grabbed a few varieties off the olive bar)
- 2 T capers
- 5 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 t fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pulse in a food processor until olives are sufficiently chopped up.
Dark + Stormy:
- 6 oz ginger beer
- 2 oz dark rum
- 1 lime wedge
Salad Dressing Recipe (link)
this chicken is sooo good. we found grape tomates on sale at the store yesterday and this recipe was the first thing that we both thought of. the mangos were also on sale (50¢ apiece!) and made a good salad with spinach, feta, and almonds.
this was shockingly simple and the best chicken i have ever made. until tonight, my best chicken recipe was my mom’s 40 clove chicken. tonight’s recipe is from my mother-in-law, so i guess the competition is on! It was great with a bed of brown rice
amazing chicken ingredients:
- 3 chicken breasts, trimmed and halved
- 16 kalamata olives, halved
- 2 T capers
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
amazing chicken directions:
- preheat oven to 475°
- salt and pepper both sides of the trimmed chicken
- heat oil in medium, oven proof skillet on high heat until shimmering
- toss 1 T olive oil with capers, olives, and tomatoes
- pan fry one side of chicken until golden brown (about 4 minutes)
- add tomato mixture to pan and bake in oven for 16-18 minutes, until tomatoes are done
- 12 mushrooms, stems removed and set aside
- 8 sun dried tomato halves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 C diced onion
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1/3 C breadcrumbs (seasoned)
- 1 T dried basil
- 1 t sea salt
- 2 T Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 T warm water
- bake mushrooms, top up, on parchment covered baking sheet for 9 minutes
- chop mushroom stems and saute with garlic and onion in small saucepan until onion is soft (about 5 minutes)
- mix together onion mixture, and remaining ingredients except Parmesan.
- drain mushrooms and stuff with mixture
- bake for 17 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.