120821 – The Real Dough
Adapted From Cook’s Illustrated
- 3 cups (16 1/2 ounces) bread flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/3 cups ice water (about 10 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for work surface
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, process flour, sugar, and yeast until combined, about 2 seconds. With machine running, slowly add water through feed tube; process until dough is just combined and no dry flour remains, about 10 seconds. Let dough stand 10 minutes.
- Add oil and salt to dough and process until dough forms satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of workbowl, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove dough from bowl and knead briefly on lightly oiled and floured countertop until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Shape dough into tight ball and place in large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 days. I strongly recommend making the dough 2-3 days in advance of baking. That way it will give you a nice and bubbly crust (like the photo!).