Filed under: DINNER
Recipe adapted from The Flexitarian Table.
- 4 t finely chopped rosemary
- 2 t finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1 14-16 oz. package extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into 4 slabs
- 3/4 t sea or kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 T canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- Stir together seasoning mixture
- place tofu on a plate in a single layer. cover with salt then rub all over with seasoning mixture. cover with pastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Take the tofu out of the refrigerator and use a paper towel to wick away moisture. Season both sides with salt and pepper
- in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until it shimmer. add the tofu, increase the heat to medium high, and cook undisturbed for 4 minutes.
- once a golden crust has formed, flip the tofu and cook for another 4 minutes. add the lemon juice to the pan and scrape up any caramelized bits. remove from heat.
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/3 C soy sauce
- 2 t finely grated, fresh ginger
- 1/2 C water
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 lb burdock, scrubbed and cut into matchsticks (I didn’t use this at all)
- 1 lg, 2 medium, or 3 small leeks (i did three small 🙂 white and tender green parts only, cut into matchsticks
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 oz. carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 T sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 scallions, white parts only
- in a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ginger and water.
- in a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over high. add the burdock and cook, stirring, for two minutes. add the leaks, pinch of salt and cook until the leeks wilt, about 2 minutes. pour in the honey mixture and bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- stir in the carrots, cover the pan again, and simmer until the veggies are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- uncover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer until the juices have reduced into a glaze.
Sobo and spinach:
- 8 oz. sobo noodles
- 2 T toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 lb spinach
- cook sobo in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente – about 6 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups of cooking water.
- wipe the pot dry and set over medium heat. add sesame oil and cook garlic for 30 seconds. add the spinach, raise the heat and cook, stirring, until it’s wilted.
- return noodles and reserved cooking water to the pot.
Divide brothy noodles among 4 bowls, then veggies, and top with tofu. sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and pass a bottle of soy sauce.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment