I borrowed my mother in law’s copy of The New Best Recipe and have fallen in love with it. The authors of the book test different recipes and techniques in their kitchens and publish the ‘best one’, giving detailed reasons for why it was selected and alternative methods/ tools you can use. I am looking forward to making many, many more recipes from this book in the future!
‘classic (basil) pesto’
- 2 C fresh basil (packed)
- 1/4 C pine or walnuts
- 7 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 T fresh parsley
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- heat a heavy skillet on high and toast the nuts for 3-4 minutes, or until pine nuts are well browned.
- put nuts aside in a bowl and add garlic to the skillet. Toast for 5-7 min or until the outside starts to brown and garlic is fragrant (i got nervous here and pulled the garlic off the stove at 3 minutes – i wish i had left it on for the full time).
- Place herbs in a heavy duty plastic bag and pound with a meat clever to release the juices (this was my favorite part about this pesto).
- combine pounded herbs, toasted nuts and garlic, oil, and salt in food processor and pulse until smooth.
- transfer the pesto to a bowl, stir in cheese and serve.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment