I have made a very similar recipe a few times before i started this blog, and wanted to try adding a few of our other Indian spices to the mix. So i added the garlic ginger paste and the Graham Marsala. I think that it definitely has more of an authentic Indian flavor than before, but Joe did not like it as much.
I wish that i could say that i made the Naan, but it is from Trader Joe’s and SO TASTY that i am happy to buy theirs. Besides, a good Indian friend of mine endorses it, so it must be good.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-1/2 t olive oil
- 1 T garlic ginger paste (found at Indian grocery stores)
- 1-1/2 t curry powder
- 1/2 t ground turmeric
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t graham Marsala
- 1 1/2 T burberry powder (found in middle eastern grocery stores – you could substitute 2t chili powder)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t sugar
- 1 can diced or petite diced tomato, drained
- rinse lentils then cover with an inch of water and bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small saucepan and saute onion for 2-3 minutes, until soft. remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. return to high heat and stir continually for 2 minutes.
- when lentils are soft and fully cooked, skim off extra water/foam, remove from heat and stir in onion mixture. serve immediately.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment