Riight… so i bought these plantains from a local Hispanic grocery store about um, ten days ago? I have no idea how to tell when plantains are ripe, so the following day i tried to peel one and COULD NOT. the peel was so stuck to the fruit that it started coming off in little pieces. So, after waiting patiently this past week and a half, i tried one them again. The peel reluctantly came of this time and the fruit felt plenty soft. I went ahead and cooked them up per my adapted recipe from Weight Watchers Magazine. They are VERY tasty!
- 4 t Canola oil
- 2 green plantains, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/2″ slices
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t paprika
- heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- add plantains and cook until golden brown on both sides (about 5 min on ea. side), then transfer to a paper towel. place another paper towel on top and press down on the slices to flatten into about half their thickness.
- rub the plantain slices with garlic.
- spray the skillet with cooking spray and set at med-high heat. add the pressed slices and cook for another 1-1/2 min on each side.
- sprinkle with salt and paprika and serve.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment