it’s FREE CONE DAY at BEN & JERRY’S, so i decided that i should make something nice and light for dinner…oops. that was my original intent anyway. then i realized that the sweet potatoes were peaking, and we happened to have some ground beef in the freezer. so i had to make sweet potato fries and burgers. it was filling, but really good.
the burgers i just marinated in Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce for an hour, then grilled in our cast iron skillet.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into fries
- 2 T canola oil
- 3 T taco seasoning
- pinch of cayenne powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- bit of salt
- toss the fries together with all the seasonings in a large bowl
- preheat oven to 425° and bake on a sheet for 30 min, then flip them and bake another 20-30 min, until browning.
ever since i sampled the guacamole at Oyamel in DC, made table-side with a mortar and pestle, i have been making my own at home and LOVING IT. it is so easy to make, and can be affordable when the avocados are in season.
i made the chips by slicing up some tortillas, brushing with evoo, sprinkling with sea salt, and broiling on each side on high for a minute.
- 2 ripe avocados (preferably Haas)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- approx 1/3 T FINELY chopped onion
- 1/2 C canned diced tomatoes, drained
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- S + P
- squeeze lime juice over avocado in small mixing bowl. Use a fork to crush the avocado.
- mix in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.