this was such a treat. this salad was like candy! i have read somewhere that eating avocado with other foods helps your nutrient absorption. i wish i had allowed a good hour and fifteen to prepare all the ingredients (mainly the beets), because i was pressed and had to cut corners (turned up the oven).
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cut into 6-8 wedges
- 3 T minced onion
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 C olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 C (or so) dried cranberries
- 1/3 C feta cheese
- romaine lettuce
- 1/2 C walnuts
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1 T canola oil
- preheat oven to 425°
- to make dressing, mix together balsamic vinegar, evoo, and onion in medium sized bowl. toss beets in dressing and let marinate while the oven heats up.
- bake beets for 25 min, then flip and bake another 20 min, or until soft through.
- heat canola oil and brown sugar (and a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper) in medium saucepan with walnuts. keep stirring as the sugar caramelizes and begins to coat the nuts (about 5 minutes).
- when the sugar is fully caramelized, remove from heat and pour the nuts onto a piece of parchment or a plate to cool. THEY LOOK NICE, BUT ARE VERY HOT AND WILL BURN YOU. i found this out the hard way…
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment