this was such a treat. this salad was like candy! i have read somewhere that eating avocado with other foods helps your nutrient absorption. i wish i had allowed a good hour and fifteen to prepare all the ingredients (mainly the beets), because i was pressed and had to cut corners (turned up the oven).
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cut into 6-8 wedges
- 3 T minced onion
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 C olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 C (or so) dried cranberries
- 1/3 C feta cheese
- romaine lettuce
- 1/2 C walnuts
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1 T canola oil
- preheat oven to 425°
- to make dressing, mix together balsamic vinegar, evoo, and onion in medium sized bowl. toss beets in dressing and let marinate while the oven heats up.
- bake beets for 25 min, then flip and bake another 20 min, or until soft through.
- heat canola oil and brown sugar (and a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper) in medium saucepan with walnuts. keep stirring as the sugar caramelizes and begins to coat the nuts (about 5 minutes).
- when the sugar is fully caramelized, remove from heat and pour the nuts onto a piece of parchment or a plate to cool. THEY LOOK NICE, BUT ARE VERY HOT AND WILL BURN YOU. i found this out the hard way…
this is secret family recipe material. it is SOOO good! it is one of joe’s recipes and this is the first time i have made it. unlike boxed mac n’ cheese, it actually tastes good the next day! I used some nice sharp Cabot cheese (we usually buy store brand but it was on super sale) and i think that added a lot to it. Next time i might use a tad more Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 C elbow macaroni
- 2 C skim milk
- 2 T corn starch
- 6-8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
- S+P to taste
- cook macaroni in pot of boiling water 1 min less than indicated, then preheat oven to 350°
- in a small saucepan, whisk together milk and corn starch, turn to medium heat and continually whisk until it begins to bubble
- take milk off the heat, stir in cheese, Worcestershire, and s+p.
- mix together pasta and sauce in baking dish and cook for 12-15 min in preheated oven.