This was really easy, and nice because i had some broccoli pesto already made up to use in it, but I am not making it again. It was not that good. I was surprised. I really like broccoli, and i usually like Heidi’s recipes. This was just a little too plain. Even with the bells and whistles (avocado, feta, and slivered almonds). While mixing it all together, i taste tested and immediately tried to season it back to life. No avail.
- 4 C fresh broccoli florets
- 2/3 C broccoli rabe pesto
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1 C quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 C slivered almonds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- slice of feta cheese
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa: combine quinoa and 3 C water in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer 15 min, remove from heat, drain excess water and set aside.
- Steam 4 C broccoli until just barely cooked.
- Heat pesto and stir in buttermilk to give a creamier consistency (use heavy cream if you prefer).
- Stir together quinoa, broccoli, and pesto in a large bowl/ serving dish. season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with almonds, feta, and avocado.
Cherry tomatoes were 2lbs/ $1 last week at Haymarket! I have been using them in practically everything lately. Normally we can’t afford them, and they are one of my all time favorite foods, so it has been a big treat! The other night i was loooking to make some comfort food for dinner, and this recipe really hit the spot. We had leftover tofu from out sandwiches the other night, broccoli rabe pesto frozen from a couple weeks ago, and PLENTY of tomatoes.
Here is a link to the recipe. The only difference is that tonight i roasted the tomatoes (tossed in olive oil, salt, and brown sugar) for 45 minutes at 425°F. I will definitely use this roasting technique again!
This is the first recipe i have made with tofu. This is the second time i have made it. Tonight was better than the first time, but i would still make a couple changes. The quinoa, though a nice texture, is a little bland and should be cooked in veggie broth instead of water. Secondly, i would add maybe 1/3 C feta to add a little more salt.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups spinach or other hearty green, finely chopped
- 2 cups extra-firm tofu, browned in a skillet a bit
- 1/3 cup spinach pesto (click for recipe)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- S + P to taste
- In a big skillet or pot heat the olive oil and salt over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in the quinoa and corn and cook until hot and sizzling. Stir in the kale and then the tofu, cooking until tofu is heated through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the pesto and pumpkin seeds. Mix well so the pesto is spread throughout. Turn everything out onto a platter and top with the cherry tomatoes.