Oh yeah… Thank you, Smitten Kitchen. I just slightly adjusted the ingredients to simplify the items I had to buy, and to make it a little less bad for you. They are still extremely rich and delicious!
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 T unsalted butter
- Heaped 1/4 t sea salt
- 2 T heavy cream
- 3 ounces very dark chocolate (~70% cocoa), roughly chopped
- 4 T unsalted butter, plus extra for pan (notice you use less than a stick of butter for the whole thing – Smitten calls for 1 1/2 sticks!!)
- 2/3 C granulated sugar (Smitten called for 1 Cup of sugar here – after making them I think it could be further reduced to 1/2 Cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- Smitten prepares parchment on a plate here – I ended up pouring the caramel directly on the plate and it worked out fine… I’m in Guatemala and didn’t want to buy parchment for the sake of one little dessert.
- In a medium, dry saucepan over medium-high heat, melt your sugar, stirring to break up large chunks, until it has turned a nice copper color.
- Remove from heat and quickly and carefully stir in butter. It may not incorporate entirely but do your best.
- Stir in cream and salt and return saucepan to the stove over medium-high heat, bringing it back to a simmer and melted again any sugar that solidified. Cook bubbling caramel for a few minutes more, until it is a shade darker.
- Pour out onto a large plate and transfer plate to your freezer. Freeze until solidified, which takes about 20 minutes.
- To separate the caramel from the plate, one swift yet careful hit with a utensil to the middle of the plate did the trick.
Meanwhile, or when your caramel is almost firm, make your brownies:
- Heat oven to 350°F. (Again, Smitten calls for parchment – not necessary!) Grease a 9 x 11 baking dish with butter or cooking spray (sides too).
- In a medium heatproof bowl over gently simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Off the heat, whisk in sugar, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and salt. Stir in flour until just mixed – you don’t want to over stir the flour.
- Assemble brownies: Chop the caramel it into rough 1-inch squares. Gently fold all but a small amount of caramel bits into batter. Scrape batter into prepared pan, spreading until relatively even. Scatter remaining caramel bits on top. Bake in heated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool thoroughly before cutting.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment