I have been wanting to make french toast for some time now. With all of the delicious bread recipes i have been making with ‘The Challenge’ it is a wonder that i haven’t tried yet. Finally, I made some with the Celebration Bread (Challenge #11) I made on Friday. The recipe is adapted from The New Best Recipe (my new fav). It was delicious. Not too eggy and very easy. My only suggestion is to sift the flour into the batter while whisking so that it doesn’t clump up.
- 1 egg
- 1 T butter, melted
- 1 1/2 C skim milk, about temperature
- 3 T sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 4-6 slices of brioche style bread
- whisk egg in a shallow dish. Whisk in milk, then melted butter. Then add sugar, salt and flour (sifted).
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium and drop 1/2 T butter in.
- Meanwhile, place 1/2″ thick slice of bread into the mixture and let it soak for 30-40 seconds on each side. (you don’t want the bread too thick, or to let it sit for too long and get soggy)
- Cook toast in the skillet until golden brown on both sides.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment