I have been baking so much with the BBA challenge lately, that i have ceased all other baking. I completely forgot that i have not made my Chocolate pretzels since starting this blog. We finished up our corn muffins pretty quickly, and today, i had a hankering for these. By the time i finished writing this post, i have had more than my fair share of these cookies. I’ll run them off tomorrow!
- 1 1/2 t instant espresso powder
- 3 T boiling water
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 C unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 packets Sugar in the Raw, for sprinkling
1. Stir espresso powder into the boiling water until dissolved; set aside. Meanwhile, put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until creamy. Mix in vanilla and salt. Reduce speed to medium-low. Mix in egg, cocoa and dissolved espresso. Gradually add flour, and mix until a smooth dough forms. Turn out onto a piece of wax paper; pat into a square. Wrap dough, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
2. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll into balls. Shape balls into 9 or 12-inch-long ropes. I just rolled them out on the wax paper that they the dough was refrigerated in to save on clean up. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape. Space evenly on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Brush cookies with egg wash; sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Bake cookies until dry, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week (but they won’t be around that long).
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment