This was one GREAT sandwich. I find it hard not to like something that includes cherry tomatoes. for someone who has not worked with tofu much, it was pretty easy, too. And yes, that is a delicious Mojito in the background!
- toasted Casatiello (or whole wheat bread)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2/3 C cherry tomatoes for puree + 1 C halved for sandwiches
- romaine lettuce (better yet – fresh basil) for sandwiches
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 swigs balsamic vinegar + some for marinade
- dried basil
- onion powder
- chili powder
- S + P
- Marinade slices of tofu in balsamic vinegar and olive oil for at least 30 minutes.
- Make tomato puree by pulsing cherry tomatoes + tomato paste + garlic clove + basil + dash of onion powder + swig of balsamic vinegar in immersion blender
- Toast the Casatiello slices (or whole grain bread) and spread with tomato puree. Grill slices of firm tofu in olive oil until browning and crispy.
- Layer tofu in the sandwich with lettuce (or fresh basil) and sliced cherry tomatoes. Season with black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of garlic powder and mild chili powder. Amazing hot or cold.
recipe thanks to: http://rowenarecipes.wordpress.com!
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment